Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pirates!!!!

Our favorite friend from ND lovesssssssss pirate jokes.  Well actually, he loves ALL jokes.  ANY type of joke.  And he especially has a thing for puns.  But one silly joke that he would use over and over again was:

Brian:  What is a pirate's favorite radio station?
Me:  I don't know... What?
Brian:  NPRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! 

I always get a crack out of that one.  But I wish Eddie could understand some jokes.  Or, I wish I could reason with Eddie.  Or, I wish he would understand that this patch that he has to wear is going to help him, it is going to help him use his very weak left eye, and it will make his left eye stronger.  I wish we could pretend he was a pirate sailing on a voyage to some new adventure.......

Actually, I wish I didn't have to do it at all :(

Patching.... stinks! (Or, I guess a pirate would say it SINKS!) Muahahahaha....

And do you know what......of course it does!  I can't blame him!  He has some vision but we have no idea how much vision, in the left eye.  So, patching entails covering his right eye, the good eye, his seeing eye, so he and his brain are forced to exercise the muscles to control his left eye.  Studies have shown that patching can improve vision in one's eye, and it can help the eye from straying away and becoming a lazy eye.  So of course I want to do it, if it will help him.  But, I must say, it's awful.....He can barely see.  When I wave to him, all I get is a blank stare.... and that makes me sad...... But, a minute later he will be navigating his way through the house wonderfully, stepping over the baby gate without tripping and picking up his milk and taking a drink. I try to patch his eye everyday at the same time.  So, we have built up a routine.  Everyday when he wakes up from his nap, we get a snack, play a little bit, and then, BAM 4:00 p.m. is patching time. 

I HATE THE HOUR THAT EXISTS FROM 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.!  But I must say, we are making progress.  For the most part, we are patching for that entire hour.  BUT Eddie must be extremely distracted, or he will try to rip it off 47 million times!.]  So we take Winston for a walk around the block, then we walk to the play ground (in our little neighborhood) and we run around a bit.  But he has NO peripheral vision!  I don't need a doctor to tell me that, because he is DANGEROUS!  I am running around chasing him/diverting him from whacking his head on some toy or playground device.  Everyday from 4-5:00 p.m. I am running around the block, then the playground, then our house, trying to keep him from hurting himself :(

By the end of the hour I am sweating like crazy.  But, most people that know me, already know that I have a sweating issue..... not exactly a problem if you wear all black, just an issue :)  This is Michael by the way..... hahahah just kidding. Obvi......

Now, there are some days when he is absolutely, positively, 100% NOT going to allow us to patch his eye.  He will rip it off in 30 seconds.  But, most days we are hitting the 1 hour mark.  Dr. Shields would like us to be patching for 2 hours, and we are hoping to get there, some day, but right now, we are happy with Edward's cooperation.  Thanks buddy. I love you!
 Having fun, not minding the patch at all!
ANGRY!  This eye patching session, was not as successful, even though I gave him a lollipop!

No comments:

Post a Comment